Saturday, January 23, 2010

Flight number – AC 8389 (Part - II)

In continuation with my previous blog "Flight number AC - 8389". I looked out of window and guess what? The fan propellers next to me stopped rotating. I remembered one of the bollywood movies ‘3 Idiots’ in which one of the character Rancho always suggested to say “ALL IS WELL” to your heart when in problem. But nothing was going well at that time in flight number AC – 8389. I was stunned by the fact that I was in 25000 ft high above the ground and one of the plane engine stopped working completely. I wasn’t able to move a muscle. The plane had once again started tilting from the side where the engine had stopped. Once again I could see the mountains below the plane. But this time I couldn’t even think of taking snaps coz this time it happened unintentionally. It seemed clearly that both the pilots couldn’t control the plane. There was too much of disturbance in the plane. Two guys didn’t follow the pilot’s orders of tying the seat belts and because of that they suffered a lot. They were falling all around in the plane as it was swinging left and right. At that time I realized that tying seatbelt may not save from crash, but it can definitely save you from injuries before the crash. You never know that could make the difference between life and death.

I started praying and hoping that somehow there should be some miracle and all of us land safe or for that matter stay alive. The plane had begun to descend on its own. All of us could experience that. I was thinking of my loved ones, I did not want to die. Three hours and fifteen minutes into the flight which was descending, no one of us knew were we going to land safely or crash. But even if the pilot tries to land the plane in this position (perpendicular to ground) it would crash. About ten more minutes in to descend and I could see the land very clearly. In that case I thought we must be only a few hundred ft above the ground. At this time everyone on the plane was shouting for help, praying, crying and yelling. Just at that time we all heard a big boom. There was a blast at the back side of the plane. I turned back to look, god. There was a big blast which cause a big hole in the plane, wtf. There was a pressure drop in because of that. Immediately the oxygen mask dropped down. People struggled to use them as the plane was descending as well as inclined. I managed to get my and helped the lady next to me get hers.

Luckily no one at the back was hurt or was blown off. I could see a plain ground below. It gave me some hopes that at least we were not on top of some mountain where there were no hopes of landing at all. But this situation was even worse and everyone on that plane hoped for a miracle. We were descending at a faster rate now. Nothing in the world could go so wrong with me, why with the plane I am in? I was thinking. There was so much of noise all around, but still I could hear some sound of a motor. I looked out, slowly and steadily the fan propellers of the wing had started. Damn! That could be a sign of a miracle I thought. The engine which had stopped before had started just in time I believed. That was the time these pilots could become hero and get their names printed in the history for ever. They should just land this plane safely.

The propeller engine was working fine now and the plane was back from the inclination. People were silent, happily amazed that the engine started and now the plane was parallel to the ground. Just may be 150 meters from the ground though, there was a plane land to attempt a forceful landing. Just in few seconds we were close to ground. Descend was not steep now as both the engines were working. I just prayed that these engines worked few more seconds and no more booms until we all were safe away. Few more seconds and the plane hit the ground. Big boom!!! When I looked out I saw that the side wheels of the plane did not come out. There was lots of friction. We all were inclined backwards which made me think that only the front wheels had come out. There was a lot of friction which mad the plane slow down quickly than what it would with normal wheels.

After a few seconds the plane had come to stand still in the middle of grassland. There was a lot of dust blown all around. People at the back realized that at back side the plane had caught fire, may be due to the friction. The air hostess struggled to open the front door while all the people rushed behind her to get out. Before the fire could grow up all of us were out of the plane along with the air hostess and two pilots. The fire grew and in few minutes the whole plane was blazing. All of us were out and there were cheers all over the place. In couple of hours there were helicopters to take all of away. I was in the copter and someone tapped on my back. I turned around; she was the old lady who was sitting next to me in the plane. There was a big smile on her face. I gave a big smile and said, “Yes, we made it!!! You were right, we all are safe.”

I reached Toronto airport to continue my journey to India, but one day later. I was taken to the hospital for checkup. I got my remaining flights re-scheduled. A day later I landed in Mumbai and everyone was waiting for my arrival. Finally I was back and no more I had to take those Air Canada flights. I promised my self flight number AC – 8389 will be my last Air Canada flight ever in my lifetime.

God bless you all!!!

JJJ

No comments:

Post a Comment